Get USD31 credit free!

Friday 22 February 2013

Day 9: My Sons + Hoi An Heritage Old Town

Due to lack of time, I decided to go My Sons early in the morning and Heritage Old Town in afternoon.
 
5am the tour bus picked me up from my hotel, brought me to collect my breakfast at some restaurant and off we go to My Sons. Everyone is napping at the bus until the tour guide announced that we are reaching within 15mins time. I guess we are the first batch of visitors (afterall we are 5am group!), the whole place is quite secluded and serene as well. Please spray yourself with entire bottom of repellent. Because you will be swarm by mosquitoes and other funny insects! The sky is cloudy & drizzling, and I can see mosquitoes here and there. I can't imagine on a hot sunny afternoon!
 
The first site is the grandest and several tombs. You can go into two of them and view the tombs inside. There are alot of stone carvings that they have collected. Subsequent site, there is lesser tombs & statues. As the tour guide only accompany us to the first site, we have to navigate ourselves to the rest of the sites and make our own way back. Initially, my instinct told me to walk the long secluded road, but upon seeing some of the tourists walking back from there. Another group is walking another way. I decided to follow them. WRONG! End up we walked back to the initial way that I walked. Next time trust my own instinct! After everyone gathered at the shelter, we board the bus and made our way back to Hoi An.
 
When I reached Hoi An, I made my way to Heritage Old town. Once you entered the town, you find that you are inside those ancient kungfu drama or movie. The buildings are exactly same! As adapted from lonely planet, below are the core places you can consider to visit.
 
Japanese Covered Bridge 
(Ð Tran Phu & Ð Nguyen Thi Minh Khai) 
Hoi An’s iconic bridge was constructed in 1593 and has a roof and a temple built into its north-ern side. According to one story, the bridge’s construction began in the year of the monkey

Assembly Hall of the Fujian Chinese Congregation 
(opposite 35 Ð Tran Phu; admission by Old Town ticket;  h7am-5.30pm)
Founded for community meetings, this hall later became a temple to worship Thien Hau, a deity born in Fujian Province in China. Check out the elaborate mural, the unhealthy skin of the statuary, and the replica of a Chinese boat.

Tan Ky House  HISTORIC HOME
(101 Ð Nguyen Thai Hoc; admission by Old Town ticket;  h8am-noon & 2-4.30pm)
A lovingly pre-served house from the 19th century, which once belonged to a Vietnamese merchant. Japanese and Chinese architectural infl u-ences are evident throughout. The house is a private home, and has been in the same family for seven generations.

Tran Family Chapel 
(21 Ð Le Loi; admission by Old Town ticket;  h7.30am-noon & 2-5.30pm)
This chapel was built in 1802 for worshipping family ancestors by Tran Tu, who ascended to the rank of mand-arin. Its architecture refl ects the in fl uence of Chinese (the ‘turtle’-style roof ), Japanese (triple beam) and vernacular (look out for the bow-and-arrow detailing) styles.

Quan Cong Temple 
(Chua Ong; 24 Ð Tran Phu; admission by Old Town ticket) 
Dedicated to venerated Chinese gen-eral Quan Cong, who is worshipped as a symbol of loyalty and justice, this temple has some wonderful papier-mâché and gilt statues. When someone makes an offering to the portly looking Quan Cong, the caretaker solemnly strikes a bronze bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment